Some Benefits of GPS Tracking in the Courier Industry
Time is critical in the courier industry, especially for same day couriers. Using the Global Positioning System, courier companies can maximize the efficiency of their fleets using tracking units.
- The most immediate benefit of GPS tracking is the ability it gives courier teams to plan their routes. Functions that enable users to see the delivery area in map form makes it easy for drivers to work out the fastest and easiest routes to their delivery stops. This saves time, enabling each driver to make more stops per day. It also saves on fuel, as with less miles there are less stops to fill up the tank. Though the savings may seem small at first, they quickly mount up and allow courier businesses to cut their costs.
- Monitoring vehicle speed also helps courier companies save on fuel. Some GPS tracking systems can even be set to monitor high-consumption driving behaviours such as rapid acceleration and excessive idling. Alerts can be sent to drivers to help them improve their driving habits and achieve more miles to the gallon.
- Another great feature of GPS tracking is that it provides up to date traffic flow information that helps drivers avoid jams and delays. This is especially relevant for same day couriers, who can’t afford to be stuck in traffic when they have urgent deliveries to make.
- GPS tracking can also improve customer service above and beyond quicker delivery times. Time and mile functions provide approximate arrival times, so that courier companies can provide accurate ETAs to their customers. This offers great peace of mind to customers waiting for time critical deliveries. Some same day courier companies may even allow customers access to view the map with live updates, so they can track exactly where their delivery is at any given time. Alternatively, the courier company might choose to send text message or email updates to customers while they wait for their packages to arrive.
- For businesses that pay their drivers by the mile, GPS tracking systems can help prevent mileage tracking inaccuracies. Eliminate the need for complicated and time consuming paperwork by taking the automatic readings of the GPS tracking system.
- These systems also enable management to keep track of vehicle usage. Unauthorized usage of vehicles outside business hours can cost companies in money and maintenance. Some systems can be configured to send alerts if vehicles are being used outside of normal working hours or in areas where they are not expected to be. Also if a vehicle if a fleet vehicle is suspected stolen, GPS software can be used to track its movements and provide up to date information that relevant authorities can use to locate and recover the vehicle. All in all GPS tracking has proved on several levels to be an invaluable tool within today’s courier industry.
If you’re unsure of the size of vehicle you need or encounter any problems using our price calculator please call, we’ll be happy to assist.
For 7.5 Tonne vehicles and bigger, please call 08000 786 373